Current chair: Mark Olaf, MD
Vice-Chair: Caitlin Schrepel, MD & Shruti Chandra, MD
Board Liaison: Diane Rimple, MD
*New Release 9.23.21* How to Navigate Virtual Interviews
Please visit the Medical Student Resources website for all up-to-date applying guides and resources available.
Released 2.21.20 - Advising UP!
This guide is primarily for those who are new to advising students and medical school Deans.
ASC-EM offers a living Advisor Consult Service which serves to answer specific questions related to: advising individual students, advising non-traditional students or student groups, and general advising concerns. This service is available to advisors only (Deans, clerkship directors, etc; NOT students). All conversations will remain confidential. Please utilize us - we are here to help you!
Current Goals & Objectives:
- Create and maintain consensus documents as resources for students and advisors to maximize success and minimize the burdens on all stakeholders
- Disseminate consensus recommendations to students and advisors
- Provide advising expertise to students and advisors alike via multiple modalities
- Updated January 2020: Creation of the EMRA and CORD Student Advising Guide: An Evidence-Based Approach to Matching in Emergency Medicine
- Creation and continuous updates of the Guide and supplementary guides for students in less common situations, including Re-Applicants to EM, Military Match, Couples Match, Osteopathic Applicants, International Medical Graduate Applicants, Applicants At Risk for not matching into EM, Underrepresented Applicants, Orphan Applicants (students without home EM residencies), and Dual Applicants (those applying to combined programs with EM, such as EM-IM, EM-FM, etc).
- Development of the Medical Student Planner, a succinct 4 year road-map to help EM bound students plan their performance and activities starting in the first year. Supplementary planners have also been created for some of the above special applicant populations.
- A Curation of Existing Advising Resources for EM-bound students has been developed and is updated each year.
- Development of an Advising Consult Service, a live online consult service for advisors to ask difficult advising questions
- Creation of a Distance Advising Program, a mentor program to provide experienced advisors to “orphan applicants” (those without home EM residency programs)
- Representation on the AAMC Standardized Video Interview (SVI) Committee and development of recommendations related to the SVI
- Development of a team to explore the current state of the away rotation/VSAS/VSLO process in EM in an effort to determine best practice recommendations for students and advisors
- Collaboration with EMRA on several projects:
- EMRA Match
- EMRA Hangouts
- Creation of the EMRA and CORD Student Advising Guide: An Evidence-Based Approach to Matching in Emergency Medicine
- A platform for identification of orphan students in need of distance advising
- Publications of our work:
- Hillman, E., Lutfy-Clayton, L., Desai, S., Kellogg, A., Zhang, X., Hu, K., & Hess, J. (2017). Student Advising Recommendations from the Council of Residency Directors Student Advising Task Force. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Integrating Emergency Care with Population Health, 18(1). doi: 10.5811/westjem.2016.10.31296
- Stobart-Gallagher, M., Smith, L., Giordano, J., Jarou, Z., Lufty-Clayton, L., Kellogg, A., & Hillman, E. (2019). Recommendations from the Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors: Osteopathic Applicants. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Integrating Emergency Care with Population Health, 20(1). Doi: 10.5811/westjem.2018.9.39814
- Pelletier-Bui A, Van Meter M, Pasirstein M, Jones C, Rimple D. Relationship between institutional SLOE global assessment ranking practices, interviewing practices and medical student outcomes. AEM Education and Training. 2018; 2(2): 73-76. doi: 10.1002/aet2.10079
- Promotion of our work and recommendations through:
- Didactics & abstracts at CORD Academic Assembly each year
- Panel at NRMP Conference 2017
- Vocal CORD EM Blog – monthly contributor
- CDEM Podcast
- Various listservs
- Creation of EMIG presentations of our Applying Guides to be distributed in EMRA’s EMIG kits
- Creation of the EMRA and CORD Student Advising Guide: An Evidence-Based Approach to Matching in Emergency Medicine - anticipated release May 2018
- Prepare didactics and abstracts for CORD AA 2019 (7 didactics, 2 abstracts), SAEM 2019 Annual Conference (5 Innovations/Abstracts), AAMC 2019 Regional GSA & GEA Conferences (3 posters, 2 oral presentations)
- Provide a live Advising Consult Service at CORD AA 2019 and continue providing live consults to advisors with difficult advising situations across the country
- Submit manuscripts for our Special Applicant Population survey, VSAS/Away Rotation Student Survey and IMG Applying Guide
- Get our Distance Advising Program up and running with EMRA
- Continue to identify trends in the away rotation application process and develop best practice recommendations to assist students and advisors with this process
- Continue representation to AAMC’s SVI committee and develop further scholarship and recommendations related to the SVI
- Continued distribution of our resources to Deans, medical schools, advisors and students via email listservs, twitter and didactics at various national and regional conferences and medical student symposia
- Continue research into various aspects of student advising with the overarching goal of developing consistent, evidence- and consensus-based recommendations to students and advisors