The 2023-2024 application season:
Current Chair: Elizabeth Werley, MD
Vice Chair: Liza Smith, MD
Board Liaison: Laura Hopson, MD
The purpose of this committee is to improve the current state of the application and interview process for both residency programs and applicants.
To join the committee, please sign up here: CORD Committee Application
Goals & Objectives:
- Understand and educate others on the current state of medical student applications and the effects on the interview process for both residency programs and applicants.
- Propose solutions that can be implemented by programs that may help improve the interview process for both residency programs and applicants.
- Work with content experts and national organizations to investigate new approaches and potential improvements to the application process.
- Expand on the scholarship surrounding the application and interview processes, to help improve the current state for emergency medicine and all specialties.
The 2023-2024 application season:
Accomplishments from 2022-2023
Emergency Medicine Activities
- EM participation in the ERAS Supplemental Application utilizing Program Signaling
- 2 EM representatives to the ERAS Supplemental Application (SuppApp) research group
Didactics at CORD 2023 Academic Assembly
- Preference Signaling in EM: How it Started…How it’s Going
- Accelerated Pathway Programs in Emergency Medicine: An Introduction
- No Match Monday: A Program Directors Survival Guide for the SOAP Process
- Updates to Residency Application and Interview Process, on Behalf of the Application Process Improvement Committee
- Late Breaking! New ERAS Application
Webinars Relevant to the Application Process and Interview Season
- CORD Connects, May 26, 2022 Preference/Program Signaling in EM: Guidance for Programs
- SAEM RAMS, July 13, 2022 Preference/Program Signaling: A Crash Course for the Upcoming Application Cycle
- EMRA Hangouts, July 21, 2022 Preference Signaling 101
- CORD Connects, September 27, 2022 Analysis of the 2022 Match - What Happened and What Should We Do?
- CORD Connects, January 26, 2023 A Program Director’s Guide to the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP)
- OPDA/AAMC Webinar, April 11, 2023 A Preliminary Research Review and Program Reactions to Program Signaling
Publications from APIC
- Pelletier-Bui A, Schnapp B, Smith L, Franzen D, Werley E, McDonough E, Camejo M. Making Our Preferences Known: Preference Signaling in Emergency Medicine. West J Emerg Med. 2022;23(1):72-75. doi:10.5811/westjem.2021.10.53996
- Recently acknowledged as an outstanding publication based on performance metrics by Jeffrey N. Love, MD, MHPE, MSc, CORD Guest Editor, WestJEM Special Issue in Educational Research & Practice
- Kiemeney M, Franzen D. Availability of Emergency Medicine Away Rotations. AEM Educ Train. 2020;5(2):e10487. Published 2020 Jul 1. doi:10.1002/aet2.10487
- Pelletier-Bui A, Franzen D, Smith L, et al. COVID-19: A Driver for Disruptive Innovation of the Emergency Medicine Residency Application Process. West J Emerg Med. 2020;21(5):1105-1113. Published 2020 Aug 19. doi:10.5811/westjem.2020.8.48234
- Huang RD, Lutfy-Clayton L, Franzen D, et al. More Is More: Drivers of the Increase in Emergency Medicine Residency Applications. West J Emerg Med. 2020;22(1):77-85. Published 2020 Dec 10. doi:10.5811/westjem.2020.10.48210
- Hopson LR, Edens MA, Goodrich M, et al. Calming Troubled Waters: A Narrative Review of Challenges and Potential Solutions in the Residency Interview Offer Process. West J Emerg Med. 2020;22(1):1-6. Published 2020 Dec 14. doi:10.5811/westjem.2020.11.4970
Topics of Interest for the Future
- Unified Interview Offer Release Date
- Interview Capping and/or Ticketing
- Post-Interview Tokens/Signaling
- Accelerated Pathway Programs in EM
- Branding of EM
- Characteristics of the un-Matched
- Voluntary Early ROL Submission Prior to Second Looks
- Drivers of Past and Future Interview Practices
- Changing Tactics (re: program approaches to recruitment)
If you have any other suggestions or ideas for future exploration as it pertains to the application and interview process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! You can contact APIC leadership at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.