Created to honor Dr. Marcus Martin, this is a CORD scholarship for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) for faculty members with significant contributions in these areas.
Eligibility for the award will be:
- Applicant must have shown previous interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) with activity in this area.
- The application must include information on a commitment to DEI in their own personal background in their self-statement.
- As part of the scholarship, the faculty member must commit to developing and presenting their work at CORD Academic Assembly in the area of DEI in the year following their faculty development experience.
The award would cover a relevant faculty development course that would be appropriate for a more advanced faculty member with travel and hotel as well as waiving registration, travel, and hotel fees (for one night) to Academic Assembly the following year.
Such development courses include the following:
- Healthcare Executive Diversity and Inclusion Certificate (HEDIC) Program via the AAMC. This is the preferred development course for awardees.
- Stepping In: Creating a Culture of Respect and Inclusion at UVA, contact GCT2R@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu.
- Programs at or near the Awardee's home institution.
- National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education (NADOHE) sponsored programs.
- Coop Di Leu sponsored programs on diversity, inclusion, and equity
- Other Certificate Programs in the Area of DEI that the applicant may have identified at their home institution.
Awardees are expected to:
- Be (or become) active members of the DEI committee within CORD for a minimum of two years following the award.
- Commit to developing and presenting their work at CORD Academic Assembly in the following year (but may be extended if needed). Academic Assembly fees, flight, and one-day hotel fees will be covered. The plan for this proposal would be due 6 months prior to the AA start date.
- Identify a member to assist with their project.
- Provide CORD a biannual progress report on the work being done with evidence of an impact locally, regionally, or nationally for 2 years.
- Write a newsletter article for CORD.
- Have approval of the development course by BOD.